Friday, February 5, 2016

Dinner and a Show

Several of the students from the folk school, as well as a number of refugees from town were going to see a show last evening, in cooperation with members of the Danish royal ballet company. At 5:00pm, Jeff got a call from one of the teachers saying she had an extra ticket and asking if I would like to join them. I'm not big on ballet. But, it seemed like a good opportunity to go out and see something different, and there was promise of a good dinner. I hesitate on that part, a little bit, because often a fancy dinner here means fish, which I'm also not so excited about. And we'd just had it for lunch. But I went anyway. It's always interesting riding in a car in a foreign country with people you have just met, and not really having any idea where you're going, completely at the mercy of these new friends! It reminded me of when our choir went to Seoul and the girl who was supposed to be my roommate got sick, so I went by myself with the woman from the church to stay at her house for the night. That was even scarier, because I knew no Korean, and she knew no English, and I had no clue where I was going or where I was supposed to come back to at some time the next day! This was much better! The people I rode with spoke English, and are very kind friends of friends of ours. And Gram Slot (Castle) is only about 10 minutes away. The dinner was fantastic! I took a picture of the menu, and was able to pick out many of the words, though not quite all of them. I tried a little bit of everything, and somehow that amounted to a lot of dinner! There were dishes from many different countries, made with help from a group of refugees in a nearby town.
The show itself was a bit, well, bizarre. The whole time I was trying to think of what to compare it to so I could explain it to Jeff. I know I have seen similar type dramatic presentations before, but still couldn't put my finger on where it was. The show was six refugees telling their stories of how they came to Denmark, and it was combined with several dancers from the ballet. A narrator was in the back, talking to them and encouraging various aspects of their stories through questions. It was in English, which I was surprised about, so I understood it all from a language point of view, but there was also a lot of symbolism that I just did not catch. It was an interesting way to tell the stories, though. You felt as though you were understanding the story more than if you were just hearing someone tell it to you. It was a fun evening, and it's always nice to do something a little bit different.

This picture here makes me smile. We had out the conditioner spray and brush to comb out the tangles in Svea's hair, but she was much more interested in fixing mine instead. So, many of her tangles remain. I'll have to figure out how to get her to sit still for it! She is very excited about the spray, though, and takes full possession of it, as well as her little white brush.
 Ever since I let her walk to the folk school for lunch a couple of weeks ago, she asks to "walkin" whenever she gets a chance. This day, she wasn't interested in holding anyone's hand because she had (had!) to carry her doll and her sippy cup, so Jeff kept hold of her hood instead. She wasn't too excited about that, but it did allow her to walk on her own. Most often, she walks in the rocks that are next to the sidewalk, I think she likes the sound it makes as they crunch beneath her feet. I can't believe how big she's getting! I was just looking through pictures from when we got here, and already she has grown so much!
 Earlier this week, Jeff and I and Svea went to the recycle shop, not really looking for anything in particular, but just going for something to do and to see what we could find. We took the car because it was very cold and windy, and then tried to put Svea into her stroller inside the store. HA. She was not having that. So she naturally started screaming and crying. Jeff walked around with her so I could browse, and he found this bear which he handed her to hold on to because it made her stop crying. She carried it all through the store. "My bear." And when it fell on the floor, she cried out, "Daddy! Bear!" We found nothing we wanted to buy, and were going to put the bear back and leave, but she wasn't going to allow that either. "Nej! My bear!" So we had to buy the bear. She hardly wanted to give it up long enough for the cashier to read the price tag! Trying to get her back into her car seat while holding the bear was also quite a feat. But we managed. Then we got home and it was time for her nap. I asked her if she wanted to take the bear up to her bed, and her response was "I don't ike it." I don't think she's touched the bear since. Each time we try to give it to her, she says she doesn't like it. So that is sort of funny. An interesting use of 15Kr though. She *had* to have the bear, until we got home and she wants nothing to do with it anymore.
The boys are having a Fastelavn party at school today, so I am excited to hear how that was when they get home. They both brought their costumes, but I'm curious whether Torben wore his, or whether he wore one from the school instead. He was not at all excited about being a ninja, and when I took it out of his backpack and handed it to him this morning, he told me to put it back. So we'll see.

I just realized my hand and thumb look really crazy in that picture of the bear! Yikes!

In any case, it is time to get ready for lunch now. They claim we only have fish once a week as a main dish, so my prospects are good that we will have something delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment